That Time I Went to Handmade Burger Co.

Today, me and my sister visited Handmade Burger Co. in Leicester. If you haven't heard of, or visited this restaurant before they describe themselves as "family owned and independent...passionate about great, fresh and natural food."
They have 21 restaurants spread around the UK, enough that it's not too hard to find one local, but still maintains the vibe of local, friendly restaurant. Their pricing is also reasonable for the niche style, and handmade food. Although obviously more expensive than cheap fast food places it is in my opinion good value for the quality they give!

Me and my sister's orders, although not discussed in this blog,
my sister ordered the Veg-Mex burger which is also fab!
I have visited Handmade Burger Co. several times before, but mainly at my local restaurant in Birmingham (although we are lucky enough to have 2!), so it was nice to mix things up. I really love the atmosphere of this place, as I, as I know many do, get somewhat intimidated by social situations and the staff are all excellent at their jobs and make you feel really comfortable! 

Here in Leicester we were given the choice of where we wanted to sit, as it was not too busy - we took a comfy booth in the corner (which for future reference definitely could offer the opportunity for romantic dates if one arose). 

The main, and only real difference I could see between the Leicester restaurant, and the one I am normally acquainted with, was the method of ordering, as after discussing the menu at our table we ordered at the tills, paying in advance, rather than having table service as I am normally used to and paying afterwards. I actually really liked this, as it gave us no pressure of when we wanted to order, nor did we have to desperately flag down a waiter at the end in order to pay - something which I have found in the past when it gets busy takes quite a skill!

Additionally, today was my first visit to Handmade Burger Co. not eating either meat or wheat (as I am temporarily trialling a gluten free diet), and what I love about this restaurant is their aptitude at dealing with dietary requirements and allergies. They have a full allergy menu which I will link at the bottom, five or six vegetarian/vegan options as well as over 40 gluten free options (for which they have been accredited by Coeliac UK). I chose their Goats Cheese Stack, but chose to go bunless, which I chose to replace with coleslaw with a small salad, which is an option available to all - useful if you wanted to reduce your carb intake!

Their care for allergies was epitomised by whilst we were eating, a couple next to us were provided with gluten free and vegan burgers (the buns for which arrived plastic wrapped in order to prevent cross contamination - although the option for them to be toasted is available for those who are not affected by this) 

My Goats Cheese Stack was made of roast peppers, a mushroom, onion, tomato and obviously goats cheese - it tasted amazing, and was incredibly complemented by what I think was a caramelised onion relish. Although I am a BIG FAN of goats cheese, it does run the risk of being badly cooked, and I was nervous that the large portion of cheese that was effectively the burgers 'patty' would be disappointing. In fact, it was quite the opposite. The coleslaw was refreshing, homemade, and tasted really authentic.


Me and my sister also shared some 'Mexican' chips, topped with "melted cheese, chipotle sauce, hand crushed avocado, handmade Mexican salsa and jalapenos"- I had never tried their chi
ps before which are freshly cut, and are proper chips, not 'fries'. They were amazing, although I don't think I could have eat them all myself, and unless you are really good at handling spice, I wouldn't pair them with an equally spicy burger.

Overall, it was a great meal from a restaurant I would definitely recommend, their music was a nice mix of unobtrusive modern pop and post 2000s music which was refreshing and allowed you to have a bit of a bop whilst eating your food. They also do a number of sundaes and milkshakes which from past experience I know are gorgeous, which I did not eat today (partly because of the gluten-free diet, and due to being absolutely full up!)

Have you visited Handmade Burger Co.? If so I would love to hear what you thought


x

Links: http://handmadeburger.co.uk/our-food/allergy-menu/
They are also active on social media and love you to tag them in your pictures! @handmadeburgerco on Instagram and @HandmadeBurger on Twitter.







Comments

Popular Posts