What's on My Bookshelf - The World's Wife

★★★★☆

I recently bought this poetry collection by Carol Ann Duffy from Foyles book shop, I had been wanting to purchase it for while and was very happy when I found it.
It was £9.99 but I spent one of the National Book Tokens I had accumulated - a free book is always fab isn't it!

The book is a collection of poems written about great historical and mythological men from a female perspective, with both a classical slant and with a theme of female empowerment running through it - it really appealed to both myself and my inner 'feminist'.


It's full of quick wit and remarks typical of Carol Ann Duffy, whilst very much keeping the men discussed recognisable. I would highly recommend this collection to anyone who likes witty and clever poetry, but also to anyone who is interested in mythology and history and wants a bit of fun!

One of my favourites is one called Mrs Darwin:
"Went the the Zoo. I said to Him - Something about that Chimpanzee over there reminds me of you."
I also noticed on my brief visit to Foyles that she has written many other poem collections, including many others about women; Standing Female Nude and the Feminine Gospels; I haven't bought these but I did have a cheeky flick through and they are definitely on the future buy list!

And that is what is on my bookshelf!


x

Links: http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/fiction-poetry/the-worlds-wife,carol-ann-duffy-9781509852666 This is where I bought the book, although it is readily available in other bookstores and varies in price too!
   

Comments

Popular Posts