Love Letters With Pliny

Image result for pliny the youngerPliny the Younger was a lawyer and author in Ancient Rome. He wrote a fair few soppy letters, mostly to his wife, Calpurnia:

Please, then, ease my anxiety and write to me once a day, or even twice. I'll feel more secure - but then will start worrying again as soon as I've finished the letters. Farewell.

I stay awake at night conjuring up your image, and during the day at the times when I usually visit you, my feet literally carry me to your rooms. But when I do not find you there, I retreat, lovesick, like a lover locked out. My only relief I find in court, trying my friends; cases. You can judge for yourself what a life this is: my rest I take in work my solace in care. 

Pliny is a bit like marmite; you either love him or despise his massively cringey and heading towards desperate letters. Pliny was most likely the first person to write love letters, dating back to around 104 AD. So, what can we learn if we want to be like Pliny this Valentine's Day?

Ease my anxiety and write to me once a day, or even twice♡- even since Pliny's time, communication within relationships was key, be honest about your feelings even when it's scary! However, be careful that you don't come across as clingy if you do opt to write regular love letters...

I stay awake at night conjuring up your image - remind your lover that you think of them and that they're on your mind. Although i'd suggest copying Pliny's phrasing could be a little creepy.

I retreat, lovesick, like a lover locked out♡- if you're a good writer use your skills to use some poetic language in your love letter, use a nice chunk of alliteration; especially if you know that the person you're writing too likes a bit of cringey writing.

My only relief I find in court, trying my friends; cases.♡- finally, if it doesn't work out, or they take a long time to respond to your love letter, distract yourself whether this be through your work, seeing your mates or watching a film.

Whatever your situation this Valentine's Day, I hope you have a good one!

x








Comments

Popular Posts