Trying the new KFC Burger

Earlier this month KFC announced that they were trialling a Vegan Burger, wrap and salad called 'The Imposter.' I was lucky enough that they chose my localish KFC as one of the trial stores in the Midlands.

Having launched it on Monday I went down late afternoon to try it; I was concerned that they would have run out like Greggs did the day they launched their Vegan Sausage Roll but I was happy when they told me they were still available.

Turns out they've been insanely popular - with all The Imposters selling out four days into the trial with a promise they'll return on the 2nd of July. Must taste good right? Here's what I thought.

I bought the burger without a drink for £2.99 because I had a water bottle with me; a price that seemed fairly reasonable for the size and the fact it is a speciality burger. It was sold in a classic burger box, but with a Vegan sticky label on the top - I presume if they decide to launch it UK wide they'll invest in new boxes? The actual burger is a Quorn 'chicken fillet' burger with Colonel's Original recipe of herbs and spices, lettuce and vegan mayo.

It worked really well and it was nice to have a burger that used Quorn compared to the existing McDonald's goujons or Burger King bean burger. I realise the idea of 'fake meat' is controversial but it does feel like something new and exciting on the market.
The flavour did taste a lot like KFC (from what I can remember of what KFC tastes like) and was slightly spicy but not hot, I couldn't tell that the mayonnaise was vegan and it really complemented the burger and the lettuce gave it a lovely balance.

On the negative side, the Imposter meal doesn't come with fries (are they not vegan?) which means the meal is slightly less substantial than its meat counterparts although I found the burger itself rather filling.

The other argument is that vegans and veggies would choose not to eat at KFC regardless of the options it offers due to their chicken welfare and mixed opinions of the KFC ethics. Personally, I am just glad I have something I can eat when my friends want to go to KFC.

If you managed to try it in the four days it was available what did you think of it?

Comments

Popular Posts